- 500g/1lb minced non-lean Beef (20% fat ideal, 15% minimum)
- 150g/5.3oz Chorizo (see notes)
- ½ medium Onion, grated
- ½ medium Red Pepper, grated
- 1 clove of Garlic, grated/minced
- 30g/½ cup Breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 4 Sesame Buns, toasted
- 4 tbsp Guacamole
- 4 slices of Cheese (Cheddar works great)
- 4 handfuls of Rocket
- 12 thin slices of Tomato
BEEF AND CHORIZO BURGERS
By Chris Collins
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Total time: 25mins
- Add all of your ‘burger’ ingredients apart from the olive oil into a suitably sized bowl. Gently combine until all the ingredients are evenly mixed. Don’t overwork the meat or the burgers will come out chewy and tough.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and carefully form 4 even sized patties. Again, try to not overwork the meat.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 patties at a time (or 4 if you can comfortably fit them) and leave to fry for 4-6mins. Flip, add cheese and continue to cook for another 4-6mins, or until nicely charred on the outside and just cooked through the centre.
- Layer burgers in the following order: Bun, Guac, Burger, Tomatoes, Bun. Enjoy!
BBQ: These can also be cooked on the BBQ with roughly the same timings. Depending on the heat of your BBQ they may take more/less time, so just be vigilant. In both methods, it’s important not to overcook the burgers or they’ll become dry and too crumbly to handle.
Chorizo: ‘Cooking Chorizo’ is ideal for this recipe as it’s nice and soft, but it can be tricky to find. In such case just get regular chorizo, peel it and shred it on a box grater. It needs to be as fine as possible to ensure it evenly mixes with the beef.
Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are the best for this recipe as they’re large and cling onto a lot of moisture. However, if you can’t find them regular dry breadcrumbs work just fine.
Serving: These patties are big (approx 6oz each) so if you want to divide the mixture into 6, that’ll work fine. Just adjust the fillings and cooking times accordingly. Either way, I recommend serving with grilled sweetcorn and sweet potato fries.
BACK TO RECIPES